Infosys is a global leader in technology services and consulting, the second-largest Indian IT company by 2017 revenues and 596th largest public company in world in terms of revenue.
For the past one year, Infosys has been the center of various controversies likes Infosys’ first non-promoter CEO in Vishal Sikka recently resigned CEO and MD’s salary, or the public tiff between the founders and the current management of the company.
Three and half months after Sikka’s surprise resignation and months of stress, investers and share holders billions of dollars value destruction, the company on Saturday appointed ts 7th new CEO and MD Euro 12.5 billion French consulting & technology services major Capgemini’s Salil Parekh for a five-year term effective 2nd January.
“He has a strong track record of executing business turnarounds and managing very successful acquisitions. The Board believes that he is the right person to lead Infosys at this transformative time in our industry,” Nandan Nilekani, Chairman of Infosys’ Board, said in a statement.
Following 10 things you need to know about Infosys’ new CEO Mr. Salil Parekh
- Salil Parekh 53, was chosen from over two dozen candidates in a search that lasted about three months.
- Parekh holds a Bachelor of Technology degree in aeronautical engineering from IIT, Bombay in 1986 & Masters degrees in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering from Cornell University, Ithaca.
- Salil Parekh has nearly three decades of global experience in the IT services industry.
- Salil Parekh worked with Ernst & Young as a Partner from 1992 to 2000.
- Salil Parekh had joined Capgemini in 2000 after the consulting division of Ernst and Young was acquired by the French IT services company. He occupied various leadership positions in the group.
- Parekh played a pivotal role in building Capgemini’s operations in India and then, in Capgemini’s acquisition of iGate in 2015.
- He was named a deputy CEO of Capgemini in March 2015.
- Salil Parekh is also a member of the Group Executive Board of Capgemini.
- Salil S Parekh is the second non-founder full-time CEO of Infosys after Vishal Sikka
- People who know him describe him as a ‘turnaround manager’ with expertise in mergers and acquisitions.
Infosys CEOs Name Since its establishment in 1981
- Narayan Murthy: 1981 to March 2002
- Nandan Nilekani: March 2002 to April 2007
- S Gopalakrishnan: April 2007 to August 2011
- S D Shibulal: August 2011 to July 2014
- Vishal Sikka: August 2014 to August 2017
- UB Pravin Rao (Interim CEO & MD): August 2017 to 2nd December
- Salil S Parekh (CEO and MD): January 2, 2018 for a period of five years, according to a statement by Infosys